Wednesday, May 4, 2011

April 21st - South Shore Rotary

My father, Robert DeSantis, has been a member of South Shore Rotary for about 25 years. He was President in 1989, the year I was born. I grew up with the men and women of this club. My first volunteer experiences in the Staten Island community were along side the member of South Shore Rotary. I remember begin about 3 or 4 and helping make Thanksgiving baskets for the needy. I couldn't reach the table yet so I stood on a chair. This is probably the most important lesson that I learned from the member of this club, just because you cannot accomplish something in the "traditional" way does not mean that it cannot be accomplished.

On Thursdays the South Shore Rotary meets at the Marina Grand to discuss current community involvement projects. On April 21st I was the key speaker for the weekly meeting. I informed the club about my reign as Miss Staten Island so far and discussed my platform and preparation for Miss New York. It was great to be able to see so many supportive familiar faces.

With my parents, Robert & Laura DeSantis, and South Shore Rotarians Terry Tarrangelo & Mitch Lowell

No comments:

Post a Comment